service starts at 3:56 of the video
Rusty taught that “Jesus is calling us to make ourselves at home with Him because this is exactly what He wants to do with us, make Himself at home with us.”
- What thoughts or feelings rise up in you as you reflect on this idea of making yourself at home with Jesus?
Rusty connected the ideas of home-making and disciple-making in John 14 where we see an expression of Jesus’ hospitality in which Christ’s Spirit abides/resides in mutual loving and keeping. In a way, during this pandemic we saw the bottom fall out of hospitality; probably the toughest thing over this last year has been the loss of hospitality and loss of friendships.
- Thinking about our working definition of discipleship—”A Disciple is one who follows Jesus as a natural outflow of love for Christ and others; one who is being transformed through relationship with Christ and with others; one who is intentional in pursuing God in all avenues of life; and one who seeks to encourage others to follow Jesus.”—How might we reinvigorate the role of hospitality on this “journey of we”?
- What might need to change in your life in order to nourish yourself with God’s Word?
- What would change in you were you to approach God’s Word in order “to watch over, to take care of, to keep an eye on, to observe it attentively”?
- If we took the hospitality of the Holy Spirit to mind in daily living, what would that look like and what would have to change in the way I live my relationship with Him?